Thursday, September 1, 2011

For me, the purpose in joining the blog world is NOT to post personal journal items such as my day to day happenings.  My goal in writing has been to share the lessons I’ve learned in a new phase of life called singleness.  I hope to encourage others with my own experiences as I have entered the new, and painful world, of  being a single woman and parent. 
Often, married folks take for granted the gazillion tasks carried out daily in a household that are ultimately done together.  Even without considering it, when married, a partner usually has the back up of the other in decision making, doctor’s appointments, ER visits, childcare routines, sports activity schedules, etc. ad nauseum.  Having another  adult in the room, or even on the property, takes a lot of weight off of one’s shoulders.  I’m feeling the weight of not having that sound, soulful, healthy partner in life. 
 I am carrying out the tasks of raising children alone, disciplining them alone, handling their pains and anxieties alone, planning their activities and education alone, paying bills and figuring out finances alone, taking them to hospitals for emergencies alone, often even making money alone when support and alimony are behind due to health concerns for my former husband.  It is me alone who faces the battles of selling a large home, of thinking where to move, how to find more income producing work. And , most especially, it is me alone who faces the small town scrutiny of my actions, my choices, my relationships, my educational choices for my children, my time use, and my lack of explanation for any of the above.
Living in a very small community  -  where you don’t dare speak badly of anyone, because surely, someone in the room will be related to them -  is like living on a microscope slide.   My town is connected and webbed together with families all marrying to one another, going to churches together, working in factories together, and all shopping at the same grocery store for decades.  Be careful, because you might walk into a ladies’ restroom and hear your name being discussed.   This all means that, at any time, you will be subject to scrutiny of every decision, weight gain, purchase, hair color change,  and relationship change you experience. 
For me, this has meant a good deal of microscopic, and often myopic, viewing of my every deed.  The past two years of living as a single parent has meant a good deal of change and, hopefully, forward motion on my part and that of my children.  But, because I’m a woman alone, it is often intimated that I do not make these forward moving decisions with wisdom or proper motivation.   Not only this, but I also often deal with people who do not respect boundaries, so my life is especially, persistently critiqued by folks who do not do such critiquing with proper motives or the desire to encourage me in my walk with God or my leading of my family.
My relationships are often questioned, my actions, my dress, even my writing on this blog.  Many of you, who have walked through messy divorces or separations, have probably experienced the very same painful interference in your lives.  It seems the small community mindset says our lives must be laid bare for others to determine if we, in our newfound singleness, are making proper choices.  Or could it be we have all flipped our female lids and gone off the deep end of sane thinking and sound decision making? 
It is beyond  frustrating to have one’s decisions discussed publicly; to have pressure to defend every action and decision.  If I lived in Chicago, or even, perhaps Grand Rapids, this small town, gossipy scrutinizing might not exist.  But, alas, I’m in a community knit closely with connections that almost seem parasitic at times. 
It is only recently that I have realized that if I am at peace with God, I have no need to explain anything to anyone.  No person has this need.  When led by God, who else must you pacify with an explanation?  Please, know, I am not talking about blatant unhealthy behavior or boundary-less behavior that affects many others.  If I was doing cocaine in front of my children, I hope someone would call me on it.   I speak of the choices in life that are not for others to take part in for mere speculation. 

Recently, my own life has been overshadowed by the ugliness that comes with the separation/divorce world.  I am reminded that I am not the first to travel this road.  Many have gone before me, throughout history, and been subject to slander, maligning, gossip, and deviant behaviors that cause nothing but stress in an already stressed life.  What is the purpose, I do not know.   Some people just need to cause heartache as they travel through life.  We cannot change them.  I cannot -have not - and you cannot. 
So, today, I write to say,
 “Let us trust that the heavenly Father does indeed see all things.  He is not blind to sin or strife causing activity.  He says he hates strife makers.  Let us not copy such behavior.  Let’s ask Him to strengthen us to have no need of retaliation or revenge.  Let’s trust Him to carry out His will for those who grieve Him desperately with desperate deeds.  May we truly trust His hand in our lives; trust that He has plans when we do NOT see Him taking immediate action, trust His heart in allowing the activity to continue unabated.  He is so good and trustworthy, even in this world of brokenness.   He does NOT plan the sin of these people in our lives; He knew it would happen once the world was broken by Adam and his Eve.  These hurtful people are nothing new to God.  Not at all. Do you believe this?  That sin such as theirs has existed since creation’s fall is absolutely true.  Think Cain and Abel.  Bitter jealousy led to murder.   Today,  bitter jealousy and greed often lead to the murder of another’s character.  This might be happening to you.  Are you willing to trust God in such pain? “
That is my prayer today,  even as I write
I trust you, Father.  You know and see all things. Your heart grieves.  You love me so desperately and know me intimately.  Even better than I know myself. Thank you, Father.  You blow me away.  I seek your face for direction every day.  It is You who guides me – You who empowers me to press on amidst strife.  I love  you, Lord.
I will continue to blog, write my life lessons from the Father,  share the experiences that are so profoundly changing me into a woman of strength, character, adventure, creativity, and spunk.
Thanks, God, for doing such a work in me. I give you credit for all things.  You are amazing, God.

11 comments:

  1. Many are cheering you on as you follow after God's heart. Your children rise up and call you blessed and so do I. Press on, sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this "singleness" you speak of of your own choosing? Cocaine in front of your children? What about the manner you speak about your children's father (in front of them) on this blog? That is VERY concerning and disturbing, and would hope someone called you on it instead of cheering you on.

    James 3:9 - With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.

    Psalm 19:14 - May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posts. You help many people who are struggling with singleness.

    Divorce is like war. No one really ever wins. It would be much less war like if the loving antagonist Christians would just leave you alone. I'm sorry for your struggles and my prayers are for you.

    The "Anonymous" writer seems to be one of the people you talked about in your story. I especially like how they hurt you with their words and then accuse you of being hurtful with your words. Then, to top it off they use scripture to give the impression of having God on their side. It's a dam shame. We can all use scripture against one another. The one I like is, Mt 7:3 "Why do you see the speck in your neighbour’s* eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye?"

    I'm sorry for everyone who has been hurt in the separation. I hope healing comes quickly to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gayle, I thank you for your willingness to open your heart to the world. It pains my heart as I too am going thru this personal attack by Christians who are "watching" from afar. When I say "from afar", it is because they really speak with no knowledge of the "big picture". It is so sad that others make the choice to be judgmental when they have not lived your life. May you continue to seek the wisdom of God, and may He continue to guide your daily steps. Thank you again for your heart opening blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gayle, I remember complaining to someone long ago about feeling that I was being judged or pushed in a direction that I did not want to go. A wise adviser challenged me that perhaps it was instead God trying to get through to me.(It took me awhile to accept that.) More recently,in a study, we talked about learning the lessons from a certain biblical character who blasted through all the crossroads w/o paying attention to God's signals. Could it be that the grenades of criticism tossed your direction are for that purpose? Those folks might be truly motivated by love. It's not too late to stop and turn around and head the other way...praying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last comment makes sense. Really, God want you to be tortured by a mean and sick man. God takes great joy in your constant torture, misery, and abuse, especially when it's all justified in the name of God. God is for the children seeing this torture and abuse every day too.

    It seems so foolish to take counsel from people who don't know you, your situation, your pain or theology. Yet, they freely toss Godly advice. Perhaps, the voices you think are God are actually indigestion, or worse yet, evil. It make more sense for the devil to want to have you tortured than God. Perhaps God is cheering for the separation. Who knows what God is thinking... Answer, NO ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Mean, sick, abusive, tortureous, man"?!? I guess I agree with the first "anonymous"...lovely things for his children to be reading. God can change anybody!!

    Vow (n): a solemn promise or assertion; specifically : one by which a person is bound to an act, service, or condition. Marriage ones are taken before God.

    I, Gayle, take you ______, to be my wedded husband. To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for WORSE, for richer, for poorer, in SICKNESS and in health, to love and to cherish, 'till DEATH do us part. And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness.

    Hmmm...if you have your adjectives correct, looks like that "former husband" falls under that vow. Just not sure why someone would allow it for 28 years and that many children?!? Just doesn't make any sense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! Sickening. Why won't the person above say his name! Why do you remain anonymous? I'm sure I know who you are. You think Gayle has deceived you as she met every of Fred's needs, wants and demands through the years. You thought her a godly woman. You did not see her pained to the floor and rubbed in the dust. You did not see many things behind closed doors. Didn't you wonder why your nieces & nephews stayed so closed mouthed through the years? Yes, he has a sickness. But he does not choose to change either. He is not choosing the wise counsel that is offered over and over again to him. He is killing is daughters spirits weeks after week. You have not walked in her shoes. Many of us have. And I hope you don't have to taste the abuse and killing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perhaps a divorce is pure and Godly grace for the one being hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God can change anyone. Amen!

    How's that working out so far? How long do you wait while the abuse continues... a week, a lifetime? It's ironic how people are advised to hang in there when the advisors would never weather the same storms themselves. Dietrich Bonhoeffer said (I'm paraphrasing) you can't call yourself a Christian if you know someone is being abused (killed) and you don't do anything about it. Our Christian calling is to love and help people, not to advise them to hang in there and continue getting abused. Torture is torture any way you slice it, even if you use the name of God in the process. Then it's torture and bad theology all in one.

    I doubt anyones position will be altered from these comments. No minds will be opened, no bad advice altered, no forgiveness or repentance sought for the ongoing abuse. So what's the point? Then again, I agree, God can change anyone. It would be so cool to see a Godly miracle here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the unhealthy husband.I didnt get to pick to have a nervous breakdown in 85.From there out I was a basket case.Gayle was the most beautiful thing that had ever happened to me.After my breakdown my whole person started to change as well as my views of God.I never planned on hurting the most beautiful person in my life.But everything about my breakdown affected all of my life.My belief system,my abilitiy to work never but a confused and burning mind,Looking back at my pictures you
    seem a disturbed face from 85 to the present.When one has spent 62 days in a psy.hospital read the Bible prayed and begged
    your spouse for forgiveness and she wants nothing to do with you leaves few options.Pray
    as I do nightly heal me God or kill me as I do want to live.My life is in constant pain,depression and confusion and do not want to live wo Gayle and the kids.I now no Gayle or
    anyone else wants a mentally sick person.You can try and judge my life but the only God
    knows what i experienced.I envy people like you Jamey who are smart and have not struggled
    with mental illness.I endure with no hope from
    God and no hope from Gayle.I no my future and pray God would take me out of the equation of these two people joined together.signed unhealthly husband

    ReplyDelete